Saturday, January 30, 2010

Infinity Studios: Publisher M.I.A.

One of the most frustrating things about reading manga/manhwa is starting a series, only to have the publisher discontinue it.

But even more frustrating is having a publisher completely disappear, period. It seems like no one really knows what happened to the manga/manhwa publisher Infinity Studios of Richmond, California. The company released manhwa such as A Kiss For My Prince, Cafe Occult, and Unbalance Unbalance.

In the case of A Kiss For My Prince, two volumes were released, and I waited diligently for the next one. It's a beautiful manhwa, with a storyline that pulls you right in. But after almost a year of not seeing the third volume on the shelves of either Borders or Barnes & Noble, I started searching online to see what was going on.

And I couldn't find anything! Wtf Infinity Studios? Your website doesn't even work anymore. I read somewhere online that perhaps the Infinity Studio's website had been hacked, but come on now, it should have been fixed by now. Apparently the last time anyone saw their website updated was December 08, and then *poof*... gone.

The least they could have done is released a statement saying they were going out of business or closing in order to regroup. Something! So now, fans of these beautiful manga/manhwa are just stuck, hoping that another publisher will pick up these series and finish them. (Please...I'm begging...Someone, anyone?)

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I just read your post and I feel the same way. I patiently waited for new volume to the series NOW to be released and now, nothing!
    I too am looking for "something" telling me what happened to Infinity Studios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I can find online, everything is pointing to Infinity Studios going under. There's a rumor that Unbalance Unbalance is going to start again Fall 2010, but I couldn't find anything to back it up. I found the Infinity Studios forum, but again, nothing had been updated since 2008, and it's full of spam. If anyone hears anything, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I found at Anime News Network while describing their licensing of Ninja Nonsense (manga) :

    "First published in America by Infinity Studios in 2006, three volumes of the series were published, with the fourth (and final) volume scheduled to be released in the spring of 2008. However, the company mysteriously (and supposedly) folded before the last volume could be published. While Infinity Studios never made a formal announcement about folding operations, the fact that Ninin Ga Shinobuden was the only series in print as of 2006, coupled with the fact that the rest of the companies' titles were sold in e-book format, as well as the long delays between volumes (volume 1 came out in March 2006; volume 3 in October 2007), and the rarely-updated website (which has long since ceased to exist), probably meant that the publisher never had its heart in the right place." So it looks like their other titles are being picked up. What about A Kiss For My Prince?? How much longer do I have to wait? I'm mean, I finished the series a la scanlations but I really did want to buy this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Keroberus,

    I finally began reading A Kiss For My Prince scanlations this year. I'm afraid the possibility of ever seeing physical copies of this series is slim to none.

    ReplyDelete